Good relationships if you’re looked after or adopted

If you don’t live with either of your birth parents, you may feel:

  • confused about who you are
  • conflicted about your birth parents
  • resentful of other children being looked after by your foster carers, or their own children
  • anxious about what happens when you turn 18.

You and your carers should receive support from social workers in your local authority – talk to your carers and your social worker about things that are worrying you. They all want the best for you.

There are other places you can go for help:

Childline – has some  very useful information online, covering both practical matters and the emotional side.

PAC-UK – an adoption support agency, offers counselling to young people and their families.