175g self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp ground ginger
2 tsp caster sugar
50g butter or block margarine (soft margarine makes the mixture too sticky and difficult
3 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and caster sugar in a large bowl and mix together.
- Melt the butter and syrup together in a saucepan on the hob (or a bowl in a microwave), then pour over the dry ingredients.
- Mix together well and then use your hands to pull the mixture together to make a dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and transfer to the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to a 5mm thickness.
- Use cutters to cut shapes from the dough and transfer these to your prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 5–8 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.