250g plain flour
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
130 ml milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder together in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Mix the milk and oil in a measuring jug and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Slowly mix together by working outwards from the centre and incorporating the flour from the edges to make a smooth, soft dough. Knead well for 8-10 minutes, adding a little flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea-towel and leave for at least 1 hour in a warm place to double in size.
- When risen, tip onto a clean work surface, knead a little, divide into five and form into balls.
- Preheat the grill to its highest setting and put a heavy baking sheet under.
- Meanwhile, start to roll out the dough into teardrop or oval shapes, then gently prick all over with a fork.
- Place the naans on the hot baking sheet and grill for 1-2 mins or until there are brown spots on the surface. Brush with butter and serve hot.