250g self-raising flour
a pinch of salt
For cheese scones:
75g cheese, grated
½ level tsp mustard (optional)
For fruit scones:
25g caster sugar
75g sultanas or raisins
- Preheat the oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Rub the margarine and flour together in a large bowl using your fingertips. Add the pinch of salt
- Add the flavourings (cheese and mustard or sugar and dried fruit).
- Slowly add the milk and stir with a fork. Don’t allow the mixture to become too sticky (if it does add some extra flour).
- Tip the dough onto a clean, floured work surface and roll out using a rolling pin to about 2cm thick. Use a medium-sized cutter to divide into scones.
- Transfer to your prepared baking tray and bake for 10–12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.