Makes 8 burgers
2 tbsp olive oil
2 leeks, sliced
2 large carrots, coarsely grated
200g mushrooms, sliced
1 x 400g can kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp tomato puree
100g mature cheddar, coarsely grated
200g (about 4 slices) granary bread, whizzed to breadcrumbs
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat, then cook the leeks, carrots and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until soft.
- Tip the cooked veg into a food processor, then pulse until finely chopped. Scrape into a large bowl.
- Put the beans and tomato puree into the food processor, whizz to a thick paste, then scrape into the bowl and use a wooden spoon to combine with the vegetables.
- Add the grated cheese and breadcrumbs, season well and mix.
- Divide into 8 equal portions and mould each into burgers with your hands. They can be kept in the fridge for 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
- Either cook the burgers in a preheated oven at 180°C for approximately 20 minutes or place on the grill, brush with a little oil, and cook for 7-8 minutes on each side.
Serve in buns, with salad and toppings of your choice, or with potato wedges and salad or vegetables.