1 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
300g minced beef or lamb
2 tsp plain flour
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp dried rosemary
150ml beef or vegetable stock
500g floury potatoes
2 tbsp milk
24 x 18cm ovenproof dish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry gently until softened and lightly browned.
- Stir in the lamb or beef and fry until it is evenly browned. Stir in the flour.
- Stir in the carrots and the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and stock. Season with salt and pepper, then bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking. If the mixture appears dry, add a little water.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the potatoes, then cook in a large pan of boiling salted water until tender.
- Drain well, return the potatoes to the pan and mash until they are smooth. Add the butter, milk and salt and pepper. Mix until you have a smooth consistency.
- Place the meat mixture in the bottom of the ovenproof dish, spoon the mashed potato on top, then smooth it over using a fork.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top is crisp and golden.