700g apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
60g plain flour (or 120g plain flour and omit the oats)
60g margarine or butter
60g caster, granulated or brown sugar, plus extra to sprinkle on top
24 x 18cm ovenproof dish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cook the apples with 5-6 tablespoons of water in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir frequently. Add extra water if necessary.
- Place flour, oats (if using) and butter into a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Place the apples in the base of the dish, spread the crumble mixture over the top and sprinkle with the extra sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.