For the base
60g demerera sugar or soft brown sugar
150g digestive biscuits, crushed
For the topping
180g plain chocolate
240g full-fat cream cheese
90g caster sugar
2 eggs (whites and yolks separated – making sure no yolk gets in with the white)
150ml whipping cream or double cream
24-cm deep flan dish or tin
4 large bowls (you need a lot for this recipe!)
- First make the base – melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan. Add the crushed biscuits and stir to combine.
- Press the mixture into the base of the dish or tin and chill in the fridge to harden.
- Meanwhile, make the topping – melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Don’t let the bowl touch the water.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sugar and egg yolks.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream until it is fairly thick, then carefully fold it into the chocolate mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until light, fluffy and stiff (and you can turn the bowl over without them falling out!). Fold the whisked egg whites into the chocolate mixture until just combined.
- Spoon the chocolate filling into the chilled base and return to the fridge to set, ideally overnight but you could make it in the morning for serving in the evening.