Makes approximately 20
180g cheese (such as cheddar), grated
120g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
120g butter or margarine
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Stir the cheese, flour and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and, using your fingertips, rub into the flour and cheese.
- Add the egg to the mixture and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle flour onto a clean worktop. Divide the mixture in two and shape half the dough with your hands into an oblong. Repeat with the other half.
- Cut into straws into approximately 8 x 2cm strips and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.