Many people don’t do as well as they should do at school, for various reasons. Don’t worry if this is you. It is never too late to learn – whether you are after specific skills or qualifications for a course or job, or whether you just want to expand your mind. Here are our suggestions.
specific skills or qualifications
- Find a course on the National Careers Service Course Finder. If you are over 16 and have left school, you should be able to do courses in basic English, Maths and IT skills for free. You can also try contacting your local college or council direct.
- The Open University offers free short online courses including English and maths skills
- Learn Direct offers a mixture of free and paid online courses in basic skills and vocational subjects
Expanding your mind
- Read everything you can – books, newspapers, magazines, online articles. Despite cuts, there are still plenty of libraries around which give you access to a world of information for nothing.
- Try a course. The Princes Trust offers free courses for 13 to 30 year olds in the UK who are out of work, education and training – look for opportunities near you here.
- Try an online course. The Open University offers a number of free courses on a huge range of subjects, from philosophy to healthy eating.